Sunday, September 30, 2012

Yucca Valley CA to Williams AZ.

Well I said goodbye to Yucca Valley about 8:00 AM. Headed to Arizona  Flagstaff or somewhere in the area.  My next photo destination on the way home is the Grand Canyon.

Traveled through 29 Palms, home of Marine Air Ground Task Force Training Command. Passed at least five barber shops all touting "marine haircuts", I even passed a bar called Marine Haircut.  Oorah!

Next was the Heart of the Mojave. Let me say, I took many photos and none of them does it justice. That's one of the hard parts of photography. The human eye sees more than any lens or sensor on a camera can. In addition your brain processes all of the scene together, when you look at a large panorama, a vast expanse of colors and light, your brain puts that all together, and that's when you say "WOW". I took two photos with my 10mm and stitched them together yet still didn't get the wow I got standing there taking the shots.



Next was my first trip on Route 66. There are sections all over the country where you can still travel on roads that were once known as "The Mother Road" before the advent of all the interstates it was the way to travel, much like Routes 5 & 20 in the northeast. It was a pretty cool experience, first thing in the morning, not much traffic, sunshine and flat roads. Rosie was in her glory, as a road car she had a great time, and came through with flying colors. My first car was a Triumph Spitfire, and open top two seat sports car made by British Leyland Motors. Kind of a deja vu thing.


After getting on Route 40 East it was just freeway driving. Interesting to travel along the roads and watch the scenery change, the elevations, obviously not as much desert, more green and the mountains change as well, redder stone, more mesa formations. And most importantly, cooler temperatures!  It was 99 at one point this morning.


I finally decided on Williams Arizona as my stop. I had stopped earlier in Kirkland AZ to get fuel and looked at the map. Williams is 58 miles from the Grand Canyon and is a straight shot up Rte. 64.


Tomorrow the Grand Canyon...


No comments:

Business Photos

Promote your business with a professional photo shoot. I do that!